Sunday 24 February 2013

DIY THIS SEASON

After seeing the first idiot of the year without a shirt at the first hint of sun, Topshop's spring/summer issue of 214 on my floor and the shows for a/w 13/14 almost over, I'm getting the hint that some sunny weather is *hopefully* almost upon us! Since it's time to start thinking about less layers (and an irritating parasite called Megan that is urging me to do another post haha) I have compiled a little list of small ways to d.i.y through summer. This is something that I have notes on for a while, I just needed a good kick to do it!

1. Hamma beads are quite the artistic material. You can iron them, stick em, sew with them and there's probably lots of potential for other things. Leutton Postle (below) use them and the little dog is my attempt at jazzing up some denim for a cutesy Harajuku style. The detail that has gone into the summer collection and Dolce & Gabbana is splendid, and with a little imagination you could create some sweet detailing of your own to resemble this collection.

Image from Style Bubble
Images from Vogue UK

2. Embellishment! I cannot stress what some pretty stickers or card decorations can do to old accessories! Prada Embellished sunglasses are sexy kk? Go crazy on a pair of glasses with your new best buddies.



































image from bosconos.tumblr.com

Bows are another way to embellish and will cutesy up EVERYTING. Meadham Kirchoff, my favorite design duo EVER did this very well at their spring/summer 2013 show. Take inspiration from the masters. Whether you make your own or buy them from a craft shop, you can cutesy up bags, socks, hats, the works. 




























Image from Vogue uk

3. The painted wedge is the first thing on my diy to do list (i do actually have one), seen at the glorious Dolce & Gabbana show. I am going to buy some wooden wedges from the chazza shop, get my acryillics out and start painting! And a tip, when you are painting straight lines or want to avoid getting paint on an area, cover with masking tape or just use a strip of tape.



























Image from vogue uk
4. You can paint some clutches too, and can easily create a piece that fits in nicely with this seasons huge monochrome trend. To be honest, the mono trend is not something I'm crazy on but all you will need to update a clutch (or really any other accessory which can be spray painted) is some masking tape and black and white spray paint. 

For simple stripes, first spray your item either white or black, stick some masking tape across it when dry, then spray again but with the other colour. When it has all dried, peel off the strips and you have stripes! If you are a tiny bit more adventurous, you can cross the tape over so you have a checkerboard pattern like at Louis Vuitton.


























image from vogue uk

I always feel like I am kind of cheating when I use mostly images that are not mine, so apologies for that. Also, I apologize on not giving tutorials as such on how to do the full diy. This is partly as I would like to encourage you to use to use your imagination and get into the habit of seeing an expensive item and thinking 'how can i make that myself?' but also because I haven't done most of these diy's myself yet! I just had to share these!

megan is an ugli ho

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I LOVE that Vogue UK picture of Hamma beads, who would have thought you could do something so fashionable with them! Definitely something I should try soon!
    Thanks for dropping by on my blog,
    Love,
    S

    www.sonushka.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD embelllllliiiiissssshhhment, i NEED my life to be embellished with awesomeness like those wicked sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete